Onsite Electrical Work: When Should I Bring In An External Contractor?

From house fires to electrocutions, electrical accidents within the home are unfortunately a frequent occurrence Down Under. High voltage electricity is a dangerous playing field for an unqualified DIYer attempting to undertake a quick electrical fix – not to mention illegal. 

In Australia, the electrical work you can carry out without a license is extremely limited. People are legally permitted to change their own light bulbs, install or repair telecommunication cables and practice authorised testing of electrical equipment. For any work beyond that, however, a qualified and licensed electrician needs to be hired. This includes seemingly small jobs, such as fixing a broken fitting or installing a powerpoint. 

If you’re a homeowner or a warehouse manager, you might come into a situation that begs the question: When should I hire a high voltage electrical contractor? Don’t attempt to tackle electrical work on your own to cut costs, as you’ll be completely liable for any accidents that occur – from shocks to burns or explosions – if you aren’t a qualified electrician. Here, we break down some of the most common reasons you’ll need to reach out to an external contractor.

Replacing faulty sockets

If you recognise signs of a potential problem with your sockets, such as frayed wiring, blackening around your sockets or even burning smells when you plug in an appliance, it’s time to call a professional. While you are permitted to purchase the new electrical appliances that need to be hard-wired, they must be connected by licensed electricians, such as the team of professionals here at Asset Power Solutions.

Installing a new power point

If your electrical cords are becoming more tangled than a dozen slack fishing lines, it might be time to introduce a new power point to handle all your gadgets. While this might seem like a straightforward task, only a licensed electrician can install them due to government regulations. Why? Well, fitting several power points throughout the home can potentially overload your electrical system, leading to power outages or – in the worst case scenario – even a fire. If you notice that your flights often flicker for no reason or fuses are blowing when multiple appliances are running at the same time, your high voltage electrician might also need to replace the switchboard. 

Fitting an RCD

For those of us who aren’t well versed in electrical jargon, a Residual Current Device is a vital safety device that provides protection against electrical fires and the possibility of electrocution. By automatically switching off electricity if there is a fault, it prevents you from getting a fatal shock by touching something live, such as an exposed wire.

For optimum safety, we highly recommend hiring a professional to install one or two RCDs at your home or place of business, whether it’s fixed, socket-outlet or portable. So, what’s the difference? The most safe option, a fixed RCD is installed in the fusebox and immediately cuts the flow of electricity to any connected appliances if there is a power surge. On the other hand, a special socket-outlet has an RCD built into them, while portable RCDs can be plugged into any standard socket-outlet – which an appliance can then be connected to. These varieties only offer protection to the person in contact with the equipment plugged into the socket-outlet.

Repairing an electrical appliance

To avoid any hair-raising disasters, when an electrical appliance breaks down at your home or business – whether it’s a broken heater, an oven or a ceiling fan – you’ll need to get in touch with a licensed electrician. As the majority of electrical appliances have complex features within their systems and are connected to the broader electrical wiring of your property, repairs can become a complicated, time-consuming process. Keep in mind: For any work you have done, always ensure you receive a certificate of electrical safety. Based in Brisbane, our team of licenced and qualified electricians can offer trusted advice on how to keep your home or organisation electrically safe. If you need an external contractor to come and attend your property, reach out to Asset Power Solutions by calling us on 07 3907 0064, or request a free quote at sales@assetpowersolutions.com.au.